Friday, August 2, 2013

Catching up and trying new things

So last night was a complete write off. Unbeknownst to me, the objective for the evening was not actually painting faces on greatcoated plastic Perrys; instead the true objective was to purchase not one, but two because it was a better deal, LG VS930 phones.  So far, I can't tell the difference other than all of my ringtones are gone and my mail isn't loading or deleting properly, etc. At any rate, not a drop of paint his the pallet last night.  I was very cranky at work today as a result...I suspect there was much rejoicing when I left for the day. 

Someone asked me when I was talking about the new blog experiment, what was the lead mountain. I explained the wargamers fear, legend, or whatever it is, then I decided I should maybe take a photo or tow as a photo explanation of why I chose to call my blog "Climbing the Lead Mountain". As you can see below are part of the several shelf units in my secret lair (the garage's third stall, previously referenced). Mind you these labeled bins are only a portion of the dragon horde there. What's that you ask? Why no silly, they are not painted. Almost none of it is painted. In the other shot, my former painting desk with halogen lamps. It is cluttered and still in use for Flames of War painting, but instead of clearing out the FOW stuff, I decided to use my long gaming table with two other lamps an create a second painting station. The second table is the location of all of the previous 28mm WIP photos.




So back to the work at hand, and often interrupted this pas week.  As I have tried to say in almost every post, I am not the best or fastest painter, but I have fun and I try. I also explained last time that I was trying to find a better solution to my previous plan on faces. Well, there is some progress to report. I tried two different options tonight. First a simple three steps using the existing base of the dark fleshtone, then dwarf flesh highlighted with basic flesh, all from Vallejo. This set of colors was much closer in tone than the previous and yellowish elf fleshtone as the final highlight.

The second option was to use the existing basecoat. I like that tone as a base, by the way. then I highlighted up with all three of the Foundry Flesh triad A, B and C...so actually four layers of color on faces and hands. Well I am no Toby from Artmaster, but I was at least not really disgusted by the results other than the slow pace of work.  It also dawned on me that I had not done the eyes first...very sad revelation. So I went back and worked on several sets of eyes as well as faces.  One of the things I am still having great difficulty with is the thickness of my paint and the fast pace of drying in the hot garage.  I will keep playing with it, but if any of you have suggestions, I would love to hear them. Okay, so  to close out tonight, in the pics below, the first photo shows two perry plastics both with the four layer job using the Vallejo basecoat and the Foundry Flesh triad. Each of the bottom two photos has a Perry plastic fig with fours steps and a Perry or Foundry metal fig (also by the Perrys I think) with the three step Vallejo process. Enjoy. I think tomorrow is finish faces day and start layering trousers and greatcoats day if I can manage it.





No comments:

Post a Comment